Thursday, March 5, 2009

SKETCH BOOK: The Vigorous Mind

While reading another blog, I noted the name of a book entitled “The Vigorous Mind”. As I wondered what it could be about, I started sketching and thinking about my life.

© Susan Calvert, all rights reserved

(beginning of sketch)

In a previous blog post, I mentioned getting bored easily. I start one project, another and another. Then eventually get back to the first project to complete it and so forth.

To get a better picture, think of a circle divided into 5 pie shapes. We’ll call the shapes, A, B, C, D & E, representing Susan’s “projects”. I start working on project A, then it’s time for dinner. I close up shop on project A to prepare dinner. Afterwards, there is not enough time to complete project A or I am bored, so I start project B. Round and round in a cyclical fashion until the projects are completed adding new ones along the way. Get the picture?

I’ve often joked with friends this might be ADD. It drives my husband mad. I feel like the kid in the candy store trying to quench my thirst for knowledge. Perhaps this is multi-tasking with so many ideas in my mind? What do you think?

"The Vigorous Mind", © Susan Calvert, all rights reserved

I’ve learned through telling this story, there are many people out there who are similarly "wired". Sometimes it frustrates the hell out of me. However, I’ve come to accept this is who I am (I am what I am, said Popeye the sailor man--*toot*, *toot*) and selected the title “The Vigorous Mind” for my sketch.

1 comment:

Sharon P Pope said...

I thought I was the only one like this, Susan. Glad to see I'm not. :) Thanks for sharing!